With millions of pages being added to the web every day, attracting visitors to your website can seem daunting or, even worse, impossible. However, there are a few tips and tricks you can use to increase website traffic without spending too much time or money in the process.
1. Use keywords. “Keywords” are the words and phrases people use when searching for specific results. For example, someone might search for “red shirts” when shopping for a new red shirt. If you want to catch people looking for red shirts, you want to make sure those exact keywords appear on your page. The trick, however, is to not overdo it. Search engines such as Google will instead penalize your site if you “overstuff” your page with obvious keywords. Instead you should include them naturally – the last thing you want is for your page to sound like it was created by a robot.
2. Buy ad space. This doesn’t have to be expensive, especially if you target your core audience. Websites like Project Wonderful will let you bid for ad space while also letting you target certain websites that you think your audience will peruse. (Sometimes it’s even free!) To increase website traffic this way, imagine your favorite webcomic: if its topic is college life, it is probably targeting its ads to other college oriented websites, such as book swapping and local meet up sites.
3. Use social media. You don’t have to be a social media genius to effectively use it to your page’s benefit. On Twitter all you have to do is post your page’s title and link, and use related hashtags to get your message out. Odds are someone will like it and retweet it for you, creating a snowball effect. Sites like Facebook let you promote your posts while targeting certain geographic and demographic audiences.
4. Establish a brand across the web. If you’re a blogger or other content writer, establish a Google profile and use Authorship to link your articles right on result pages. If your name and picture show up next to your link, that creates a sense of authority and makes your link the most likely to be clicked on. Furthermore, Google will link to related results also by you.
5. Create buzz. If you’re running a business, you should probably budget a marketing strategy anyway. Besides ad space, you can also reach out to online newspapers and magazines that may be interested in featuring you. Not only does this create authority, but it gives you references and links to add to your own page citing how reputable you are. This also in turn creates a “backlink” effect. The more pages that link to yours, the higher your page will show in search results.
Being able to increase website traffic should not be difficult or too time consuming. By following any of the steps above you will already start to see a new flux of visitors to your website. Doing all of them will increase your viewership tenfold!